Re: Genesis One and Concordism (was a lot of other things previously)

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 19:04:48 EST

    Hmm,

    I thought that I had switched to the digest but I guess that the "To:"
    bypasses that. Well, I may as well take the opportunity to throw out one
    more thought before I depart.

    First of all I can't find the word concordism in the dictionary or my
    spell checker so "Google" helped me out with the following definition:

    "scientific and theological views are interpretative methodologies that
    carry equal weight and their conclusions must be reconciled"

    Did this group make that up? I see a lot of strange words here.

    Anyhow, I still feel that those on this list lean over backwards to
    avoid giving the Bible any slack whatsoever. The absolutely last thing
    to be considered by most is that it is inspired by God and may have more
    to it than just an interesting story made up by people to fit their
    culture and taken from the myths of others. I have tried searching for
    these related myths and cannot find anything like Genesis 1. You guys
    even argue about whether a nut may have been considered to be a fruit by
    the early Jews. I think that sort of discussion is totally off the wall.

    Could we just consider for a moment the possibility that most of the
    Bible really was inspired by God? Let's make believe for a moment that
    it is some 4000 (or name your number) years ago and God told Moses or
    somebody else who told Moses. Imagine him stumbling down the mountain
    trying to figure out what this explanation of the Creation of the
    universe meant and how to explain it to others.

    I can easily envision Genesis 1 as the result. Imperfect, but containing
    an amazing number of features which "hold water" today. Sure you can
    pick at scientific details -- but it was told as history (God's History
    of His creation) not science.

    The end of the road with this scientific cynicism is total non belief in
    my estimation. First the classification of old testament myths; then the
    debunking of OT miracles; then the same for the NT; then rejection of
    the NT parts that support the OT; then rejection of NT miracles, finally
    the rejection of the resurrection and finally nothing is left.

    I admit to being extreme with the above statements, but where does it
    end?

    Instead of all the negativism, is there nobody on this list who sees
    more than just a bunch of neat theological stories in the OT?

    I don't suggest that the Bible be taken as an infallible book that must
    be taken always literally -- but I reject the opposite extreme of
    rejection of a Biblical chapter out of hand if anybody can can find any
    discrepancies with the latest scientific notions.

    Let me emphacize that I firmly believe in some type of evolution. I do
    not accept the Bible as infallible and I am not YEC sandbagger -- or
    anything like a concordism-monger. I may be a bit to open minded for
    this group, I think. (What they say is -- so open minded that his brains
    fall out?) ;)

    Walt

    Nuff' said. Have a neat time.

    Walt