Re: Old-Earth Creationism

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 19:06:08 EST

    At 05:20 PM 16/02/02 -0500, Walter Hicks wrote:
    >Jan de Koning wrote:
    > >
    > > Nothing has changed, when I see that the richest nations in the world want
    > > to force the poorest nations to accept that the richest nations' economies
    > > cannot pay for the cleaning of the air on the planet (Kyoto agreement,)
    > > though the most mechanized nations (the richest) are the greatest
    > polluters.
    > >
    > > I do not want to imply, that the rich nations are greater sinners than the
    > > poor, only that we follow God's command in Gen 1: 29-31, a command that is
    > > not "symbolic", very poorly. We should not get distracted by arguments
    > > about God's Word, if we don't listen to His Word about creation.
    > >
    > > Jan de K.
    > >
    > > Jan de K.
    >
    >I'm not certain what these have to do with the subject title but I
    >wonder if the Kyoto agreement would have done any real good. Seems to
    >have been too weak.
    >
    >On the other hand, Glenn's write up on the oil supply problem
    >http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/Future_oil_supply.htmprblem
    >indicates that we may have the pollution problem solved for us. If what
    >Glenn predicts comes to pass, then man will be forced to conserve or to
    >find other (environmentally friendly) sources.
    >
    >Man sins, but God is control and may have a wiser plan than what we have
    >up with.

    You get things like the above, when you answer e-mail while having read
    about Bush and the Kyoto agreement moments before answering some e-mail.
    Though I do think it has a lot to do with Genesis 1, our mandate to take
    care of Creation. I strongly believe that the command to do so has nothing
    to do with Young Earth or Old Earth Creationism, or with evolution. In all
    cases it is God's earth, and arguing about Gen.1 should not take the
    attention away of God's command to man. That God solves the problem anyway
    does not take away our responsibility.

    Today we received as well a note from the Government of Canada about these
    issues, and warning that the shipping on the Great Lakes is already
    suffering because lake-levels are lower, that floods are increasing, that
    winters become warmer, that very hot summer-days are many more (even on
    average) than they were, and that the ice-cap is melting causing rising of
    sea levels. I could not help but thinking of Gen.1

    Jan de K.