I've got it! -- The quantum clock!

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 15:39:07 EST

    YOUNG EARTH AND THE TICK OF THE QUANTUM CLOCK (for the
    young at heart)

    Most dating techniques used by geologists (and stamp collectors) are
    based upon radioactive decay. While using "classical" methods for this
    one gets a large time span for the existence of the earth. However, a
    more rigorous quantum treatment shows that is not necessarily (and even
    not probably) the case.

    Consider a radioactive atom. With each tick of the quantum clock, Qtime
    = the order of 10^-43 seconds there is probability of decay of Qtime/Tau
    that the radioactive atom will decay. The universe (many worlds
    interpretation) then splits into 2 universes - one with a decayed atom
    and one not This goes on for all time and with all radioactive atoms.
    Eventually we wound up with a staggering number of universes. The vast
    majority of these have conditions described by your average geologist.
    However, there are also a staggering number of universes where the
    actual decays were very, very fast ------ thus leading to a universe
    which is old by the classical assumptions but actually quite young in
    terms of trips around the sun.

    So how do we know which universe we live in -- without resorting to
    scripture? Well, I have figured it out from two points of view. First of
    all look at explosion of population of mankind in the last few thousand
    years. We have gone from millions to billions in a very short time as
    measured by revolutions around the sun (and even by radioactive decay
    which seems to be normal in present times). Compare that to the previous
    billion years by "radioactive methods". Additionally one can look at
    apparently slow progress made by human beings in what appears to several
    hundreds of millions of years. This is true despite their huge brain
    size and human characteristics of Art, burying the dead, building
    altars, etc. This is easily understood if we inhabit a universe that had
    high decay rates up until several thousand years ago. Like any good
    theory, I'm certain much further verification will follow. The answer is
    obvious: radioactive decay methods lead to an "apparently old earth" and
    ignores the predictions of quantum theory.

    I know that it may be difficult for non-physicist to accept this but
    it's not too late for those of you to take a few quantum courses and
    concentrate on the many universe interpretation of QM.

    I'm sure that you will all be pleased with this reconciliation of
    science and a Young Earth but please hold the accolades for later. I
    will be gone on a business trip for a while - so just hold that thought
    ;)

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>