Re: Children of YEC's in Sunday School (WAS: How to discuss evolution with friends

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 11:01:10 EST

    At 09:36 AM 13/02/02 -0500, Freeman, Louise Margaret wrote:
    >George,
    >
    >Thank you for the thoughtful advice. A variation... how would you adapt
    >this
    >advice for talking to children? I teach a Sunday School class of 1st and 2nd
    >graders, and, although the pastoral leadership of the church is very
    >supportive of theistic evolution, the parents of several of my children are
    >committed YECs. The subject hasn't come up in my class yet but I'm sure it
    >will... in nothing more than the typical "were dinosaurs on Noah's ark?" type
    >questions.
    >
    >Is there a way to explain to small children that they don't have to choose
    >between the Bible and science without offending the beliefs of their parents?
    >
    >Louise Freeman

    I never made a problem of it when talking to Sunday school kids, nor do I
    keep arguing in church=meetings when people insist that I talk differently
    than the Bible does. Arguing about it only gets you into fights. Just
    tell the story as the Bible does, and if something does come up, just tell
    that the lOrd did it and how we did it we don't know. There is still a
    lot of studying to be done, and when you are big and go to university maybe
    you can help us.

    Jan de K.