Re: YEC and loss of faith

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 15:14:22 EST

    At 02:18 PM 11/02/02 -0500, Walter Hicks wrote:

    >In any consistent theory, there must
    >exist true but not provable statements.
    >(Godel's Theorem)
    >
    >You can only find the truth with logic
    >If you have already found the truth
    >without it. (G.K. Chesterton)
    >===================================

    By the way, some program that is on my machine( which one and from where it
    comes I don't know) told me that what I wrote below was offensive and
    suggested that I should tone it down. I do not see that what I wrote is
    offensive, but if it is, tell me what is offensive.

    True.

    I started the teaching of my oldest son, when he was very young, by saying:
    "What the Bible says is true."
    Later I added, that not all of OUR reading of the Bible gives us what we
    understand as the truth to be, since we do not come to the Bible without
    any prior knowledge.

    Also:
    (Vollenhoven): We need a Christian logic.
    and: Most logical statements are based on un-Christian philosophy.

    Thus we are now discussing without making clear our prior beliefs and faith.
    For me:
    God created, and is not trying to deceive me. Let me explain:
    God told the bible writers what to write at a certain time of world
    history. When reading the bible we should not forget that. Therefor:
    anybody reading the bible to get knowledge of any kind must take into
    account as well what original readers might understand. God would not have
    anyone write about atoms 6000 years ago, nor 3000 years ago.
    Nor was the geographical knowledge such that people knew that the world was
    round. etc. etc.
    But the Bible was not given to us as a science-book, so treating it as such
    gets you in trouble.

    I did not even mention the fact that certain words, basic in modern
    philosophy, are translated differently in different chapters of the Bible,
    so that you really should go back to the original to talk about these concepts.

    Jan de K.