Re: YEC and loss of faith

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 14:32:54 EST

    Walter Hicks wrote:

    >I've met at least one YEC who is highly educated in science and believes
    >that the dominant attitude on this email list is sincere but inconsistent.

    Are there Mormons "highly educated" in theology?

    > He feels that what most here would call "god of the gaps"
    >is simply the failure to admit that the "hard science" that is preached
    >is, in fact, quite soft. Moreover the attitude that any YEC has no
    >arguments in his favor come across as arrogance.

    What color is your car? What if I tried to convince you it was really some
    other color? Are you married" What would you think if I tried to convince
    you that you were really single? Do you have children? If yes, what if I
    argued that you had no children? If no, what if I argued you were really
    the father of hundreds? There are things we can know beyond dispute. The
    relative age of the universe and our earth is known to such a degree from
    so many sources that to suggest we live on a 6,000-10,000 year-old planet
    reveals a deep seated ignorance. Peter says, "willingly ignorant." And to
    imply that the Bible is the source of this borders on blasphemy. Maybe it
    crosses the border.

    >I believe as most do on this site with respect to what is valid in
    >science. However, IMHO anti-YEC is NOT the slam dunk that most people
    >here make it out to be and that it would be good to get more feedback
    >from the opposition.

    I agree with you to the extent that it is good we can see all of our own
    arguments here so we can be assured they have no valid arguments.

    And Walter Hicks also wrote:

    >It is not that we are disputing that YEC is the ONLY viewpoint. What is
    >being said is that YEC is 100% wrong and should never be considered for
    >more than a microsecond.

    YEC should be considered for what it is: an affront to science, a slap in
    the face to history, and a total misunderstanding of the biblical text.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"