Re: Augustine on science

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 18:21:25 EST

    Hi Paul

    I don't have Augustine to hand, only notes I made on him a number of years ago.

    However, assuming I read him correctly, in "The Literal Interpretation of
    Genesis" (Teske R. J. (trans). Saint Augustine on Genesis, Catholic University of
    America Press, Washington D.C., 1991) examples of Augustine accepting
    contemporary science included Aristotle's differrentiation between terrestrial
    and celestrial matter (p177-178), the sphericity of the earth and moon
    (p173-176), the hydrological cycle (p178, contra Ecc 1:7) ) and the common
    features of the human and animal body (p186).

    In "Genesis Against the Manichees" (also in Teske, op cit.) Augustine seems to
    have gone against the lieral interpretation of Genesis. Commenting on Gen 1:28
    (where God givesto animals green plants as food) hee says that this should not be
    interpreted with naïve literalism, for

    “We should also be warned not to understand these matters carnally from the fact
    that in Genesis the green plants and fruit bearing trees were given to every kind
    of animal and to the birds and to all the birds and to all the reptiles as food.
    Yet we see that lions, hawks, kites, and eagles feed only on meat and the killing
    of other animals.” (p79)

    Thus extra-Biblical data suggested to Augustine that this passage should not be
    taken literally in saying that carnivorous animals were originally vegetarian.
    In discussing pain in childbirth (p123-124) Augustine recognises that even
    animals suffer pains when giving birth even though they were not cursed in
    Genesis 3: 16. He surmises therefore that pain in childbirth became the lot of
    women because of mortality rather than as a direct punishment. It may be seen as
    punishment because of the loss of immortality, rather than because it was a
    change from an original physical state. Augustine prefers to interpret the pain
    allegorically, as symbolising the suffering caused by the birth of carnal desire.

    To Augustine does not seem to be consistent. On one hand there is the stuff you
    mention (where is the comment on the smallness of stars from exactly, and to what
    extent was it out of step with Ptolemy, for example?), then there is the quotes
    above.

    Jon