RE: Do animals ever "sin" (was something else)

From: Richard Kouchoo (richard.kouchoo@firstdata.com.au)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 20:01:34 EST

    Glenn wrote

    >>>Tim is correct that chimps and baboons do have some ability to perform social
    calculations.<<<

    That is true. The divergence comes from the fact that these social calculations
    are _results_ based and pragmatic really, and not moral in any way (as George
    and others have pointed out). By post-meditation, I'm referring to our moral
    character, which is not based on the _results_ of actions or thoughts.

    This also ties in nicely, I believe, with the dualistic idea of body and soul.
    There is something more profound about the human being than a _results based
    flesh_.

    Richard.

                        FIRST DATA - CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
    "All rights reserved. No part of this e-mail or any documents attached may be
    reproduced or transmitted, by any form or by any means, without prior written
    consent of First Data."

    This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of
    the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
    recipient be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any
    use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail and any file
    attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
    please destroy the original transmission (including any attachments) and
    immediately notify the sender by telephone at +612 9959 7333 or by reply e-mail.

    First Data takes all care to ensure that data transmitted is free from
    viruses or other faults/defects but does not represent or warrant that this
    communication or any attached file(s) is free from such computer viruses or
    other faults or defects. First Data will not be liable to the recipient or any
    other person for any loss or damage (including direct, consequential or economic
    loss or damage) however caused which may result directly or indirectly
    from the receipt or use of this communication or any files attached to
    it. It is the responsibility of any person using this communication or
    opening any files attached to this communication to implement appropriate
    measure to ensure the integrity of their environment
    is maintained.