Re: Do animals ever "sin" (was something else)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 08:24:06 EST

    Bill Payne wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Feb 2002 16:14:39 -0500 Walter Hicks
    > <wallyshoes@mindspring.com> writes:
    >
    > > That Jesus was the Savior for man has not been brought into doubt by
    > > ASA mwmbers (so far) ---- but what about the animals? If they really
    > > have souls (as many think), then can they sin? Do they have a Savior
    > > also?
    >
    > Job 42:10 - ...the Lord ...gave him twice as much as he had before.
    > Comparing the next few verses with Chapter 1, Job got twice as many
    > animals but only the same number of children, because his first set of
    > children was still alive in heaven. The first set of animals was all
    > dead (no souls, no afterlife), so God gave Job twice as many animals as
    > before.

            There is absolutely nothing in this text to suggest that Job's
    "first set of children was still alive in heaven." That whole way of
    thinking is alien to the Old Testament. The hints of life after death in
    the Old Testament (including the textually difficult passage Job 19:25-27)
    point rather toward resurrection of the body.
            The Greek idea of immortality of the soul in fact sabatoges
    Christian belief in the resurrection. If we don't really die but are
    "still alive in heaven" then the importance of resurrection is minimized -
    cf. those who "scoffed" at Paul's message of a resurrection in Athens
    (Acts 17:32).

    Shalom,
    George

    George L. Murphy