Re: Redheads descended from Neanderthals?

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 11:45:22 EST

    Jan,
    In brief, Descartes wrote about mind and body. The latter in his view is
    physical, causal, etc. The former is totally opposite. All animals are
    purely physical, elaborate machines. Human beings possess minds, which
    connect to the body at the pineal, the only brain structure which does
    not appear divided. The problem with this view is getting mind and body
    to somehow connect, for they have absolutely nothing in common. This led
    to some strange approaches--Malebranchian Occasionalism and Spinoza's
    monism notably. This mind-body dualism is then transferred to soul-body
    dualism. Obviously, mind or soul are not studied scientifically, which is
    the contemporary shibboleth,
    Dave