Re: Redheads descended from Neanderthals?

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 09:46:50 EST

    Wally wrote: "Others on ASA thought me to be strange because of my
    simplistic theory of thinking that God could make more than one universe:
    But this flies as science in a Christian context??
    Glenn Morton wrote:
    Now, the theological implications of this are obvious. If we have
    Neanderthal genes, even one Neanderthal gene, we simply can't have
    apologetical scenarios which separate us from them as is done by many of
    the apologists.
    With all due respect, Wally, I see nothing "unchristian" in Glenn's
    proposal. Either we ARE descended from the Neandertal line or we are not.
    Glenn suggests strong (but not conclusive, IMHO) evidence that we are,
    and argues that this at least be introduced as a possibility (he'd say
    probability) in Christian apologetics. I think he is "right on" in this
    proposal, myself. If the idea is at odds with one's personal theology (it
    is not with mine), then reject it. But do not reject it by ignoring the
    evidence or the arguments. That is the "capital sin" of any intellectual
    pursuit. Glenn rails against that sin a lot -- and I think with
    justification.
    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)