Re: telescopes

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 16:48:22 EST

    As I recall the Birr Castle Leviathan suffered from the Irish weather: seeing
    was poor, the reflective coatings on the mirror corroded, and the the weather
    often prevented observations. Rosse should have come to Australia.... Despite
    its size, it was last used in 1878 was dismantled in 1904. Recently it has
    been restored for amateur astronomers.

    Incidently Rosse's grandfather was a member of the notorious Hellfire Club and
    his son was the inventor of the steam turbine. An interesting family.

    Jon