RE: tidbits on oil

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 17:22:55 EST

    Hi Jack,

    For the UK, it is predicted that within 3 years they will be a net importer
    of natural gas. They already have the gas interconnector to Norway ready to
    go. Eventually the UK and Europe will depend upon Algeria and Russia for
    their supplies of natural gas. Expect there to be less close ties to the
    US.

    I don't know the 2001 oil consumption figure for the UK but in 1998, they
    consumed 1.78 million bbl/day. Even if that rate had remained constant, the
    UK is now producing only 2.2 million bbl/day. If we continue with a 15%
    decline rate, we will be importing oil before I come back to the States in a
    year and a half.

    The implications of this are that the taxes collected on this oil will be in
    serious decline putting pressure on social services. I have a friend whose
    husband is an economist over here and he says that this is the last
    generation of Brits who will have the social net that they have. However,
    the British government gets $96 dollars per barrel in taxes off of oil (not
    just UK oil). This will have to rise to make up the extra taxes they are
    able to collect from the North Sea.

    Jobs will decrease in the oil industry so Scotland will feel that pinch,
    especially Aberdeen. They will have to find new industries to live off of.
    Fishing is practically dead and farming in this country is not very
    lucrative.

    Once again, I would point people to my web page
    http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/Future_oil_supply.htm for a fuller
    discussion of the implications of running out of oil.