Re: P.J. Bowler book

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 12:48:21 EST

    Here's an interesting letter from William Temple (Archof Cant 1942-4) to the
    very liberal Bishop Barnes of Birmingham written in 1930

    My dear Bishop,

    You say that ten years ago a religious teacher who accepted evolution was
    still suspect. suspect to whom? Not to any ecclesiastical authority. When my
    Father (Fred T Arch of Cant 1890s)announced and defended his acceptance of
    evolution in his Brough (sic BAMPTON) Lectures of 1884 it provoked no
    serious amount of criticism. ..., but the particularbattle over evolution
    was already won by 1884.
    You say: "The story of Adam and eve is, of course, incompatible with
    modernknowledge and the serious theologiansets it aside." I should have
    said that the serious theologian never sets anything aside without asking
    what ...of spiritual value has been faultily expressed here... As soon as it
    is realized that the Garden of Eden is a myth, .. because the Fall is ... a
    "fall upwards" seeing that the knowledge of good and evil was obtained.
    Similarly Genesis i, as soon as it is taken as a myth, is an overpoweringly
    good myth.

    Yours ever

    William Ebor

    I shall not comment on this letter but it encapsulates the dominant Anglican
    position (i.e Temple) in the 1930s and how it rejected both extreme liberal
    and conservative positions. I will leave readers to cogitate on it.

    I have some 6 books by Temple including his addresses to Oxfrord univ
    Students of 1931 which my mother, aunt and uncle attended (my father I guess
    did not) . This was an easter present from my aunt to my mother in Easter
    1932.

    Michael