Re: [NEWS] Press Release: Dembski attacks Pennock and MIT Press

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 13:02:19 EST

    Glenn Morton took issue with me, and, among other Johnson quotations,
    cited this one:

    "To the extent that they go farther, and postulate a supernatural
    directing force in evolution, they violate the rules of methodological
    naturalism and are no more welcome in scientific discussions than
    outright creationists." Phillip E. Johnson, "Starting a Conversation
    about Evolution" accessed 8.31.96.

    I'm sorry, Glenn, but that statement seems very clear to me. "TO THE
    EXTENT THAT..." is the operative phrase. I would endorse a similar, more
    sweeping statement myself:

    "To the extent that anyone postulates a supernatural directing force in
    any science, they
    violate the rule of methodological naturalism and are no more welcome in
    scientific discussions than outright creationists."

    Such persons are entirely welcome in philosophical/religious discussions,
    of course.

    Alvin Plantinga calls me a "demarcationist." I accept the label.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)