Re: Pasteur and nature of science

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 10:13:48 EST

    George Murphy commented: "Evolution does not involve increase in complexity
    as a matter of definition."

    Bill Payne replied :

    > That should not be refuted; I agree, as a matter of definition. But if
    > there is not a generally increasing vector of complexity, with only minor
    > countercurrents, then the theory fails to explain how we got here.

    Evolutionary biologists, isn't this the process in a nutshell?

    1. The evolutionary process (a family of processes which includes variation,
    natural selection, genetic drift, etc.) favors only reproductive success in
    some particular environment/ecosystem.

    2. Some fraction of the reproductively successful species will be more
    'complex' ('complexity' needs to be defined) than their predecessors.

    3. Reiterate 1 & 2 throughout geological history with its diversity of
    changing environments and ecosystems.

    4. Result: A diverse community of species characterized by a broad spectrum
    of 'complexity values,' with the maximum complexity value tending to
    increase in time.

    (This assumes, of course, that the 'potentiality space' of the Creation is,
    by God's unfathomable creativity and unlimited generosity, rich with
    possible organisms having a wide range of complexity values. It also assumes
    that God has generously equipped the Creation with the requisite formational
    capabilities to explore that rich potentiality space so that some of the
    more complex forms will be actualized in the course of time.)

    Howard Van Till