Earliest citizen of the British Empire

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 00:27:33 EST

    Evidence continues to mount for the early habitation of the earth by H.
    erectus or H. heidelbergensis (depending upon the taxonomist). New Scientist
    reports that a hand ax has been found in sediments that date somewhere
    between 550 and 700 thousand years ago. (David Keys, “The Old Country,” New
    Scientist Dec 22/29, 2001, p. 13) THis makes the maker the earliest of the
    Queen's subjects.

    The significance of this, as well as the other evidence for mankind's
    conquest of the earth dating back to
    Dmanisi Georgia 1.9 myr
    Java 1.8 myr
    Erk-el-Ahmar, Israel 1.7-2.0 myr
    Riwat Pakistan 1.6 myr
    Akalkalaki, Caucaus region, 1.6 myr
    Ubeidya, Israel, 1.4 myr
    Gongwanling, China 1.1 myr
    Fuente Nueva 3, Spain 1.0 myr
    Barranco Leon, Spain 1.0 myr
    Ceprano Italy 1.0 myr
    Le Vallonet France 750kyr-1 myr
    Atapuerca, Spain 780 kyr
    Escale Cave, France 750 kyr
    England 550-700 kyr

    is simply that in order to handle the colder climates of the regions they
    inhabited, required a higher technology than just nakee people and stone
    axes. They had to have clothing to be in the Caucasus,and Georgia. They also
    had to care and support each other which indicates human compassion.

    And as usual, this illustrates that whatever the 'oldest' of anything in the
    fossil record is today, it will not be the oldest tomorrow. As
    archaeological knowledge improves we always find that we have underestimated
    fossil man's abilities. Just 7 years ago, no one accepted fossil man in
    Europe before 500,000 years ago.