Re: views of scientists-help needed

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 13:18:23 EST

    John W Burgeson wrote:

    > On that web site -- they give the following definition of Darwinism.
    > Any comments? I happen to think it may be somewhat too specific as to
    > mechanisms. My own variant follows: Site's definition: "the scientific
    > theory which, operating under the philosophies of materialism and
    > naturalism, makes the assertion that life today is the result of
    > purely natural processes, such as the natural chemical origins of the
    > first cell, and a mutatation-selection mechanism causing
    > microevolution, macroevolution, speciation, which account for the
    > origins of all cellular functions, morphologies, and common ancestry
    > through descent with modification for all life forms." My
    > variant: "the scientific theory which, operating under the
    > philosophies of materialism and naturalism, makes the assertion that
    > life today is the result of purely natural processes, such as the
    > natural origins of the first cell, and natural
    > mechanisms causing microevolution, macroevolution, speciation, which
    > account for the origins of all cellular functions, morphologies, and
    > common ancestry through descent with modification for all life forms.

            Both versions rule out any belief that God has anything to do
    with the evolutionary process at any level. If you do that you can then
    cite a lot of Christians who accept evolution through natural selection
    as opponents of "Darwinism." This is very misleading.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/