Re: Evolution Statement

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 11:35:58 EST

    I had written: ..."But we do not (thankfully) inhabit such an imaginary
    world, and, therefore, I was thinking that the argument must therefore be
    at least somewhat weaker here."

    David Campbell replied that "Actually, such a world would suggest the
    existence of some sort of macroevolutionary factors distinct from
    microevolution (defining microevolution as the everyday infraspecific
    variation, e.g. children not identical to parents)."

    Very likely so. My point was only to observe that the strength of the
    data we observe for the thesis that "macroevolution is microevolution
    writ large," would be larger in a theoretical world where inter-species
    mating was possible. On the other hand, if we lived in a world where new
    species appeared suddenly, with no particular reason to suggest their
    origins, then the strength of the data for the thesis would necessarily
    be much lower. At least it would be lower until (and unless) such an
    origination were actually observed (a cow giving birth to a giraffe, for
    instance).

    Still, even in this last world, the TOE would be the only viable
    SCIENTIFIC theory possible.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)