Nothing buttery (fwd)

From: Joel Cannon (jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 13:02:21 EST

    Forwarded message:
    > From: John W Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>

    > Assertion 3. Consciousness is nothing more than
    > physics/chemistry/biology. IOW, if we understood
    > physics/chemistry/biology better, we could explain consciousness.
    >
    > If asked to agree/disagree with the above, I'd say
    >
    > 1. Yes
    > 2. Maybe, but I think not.
    > 3. No.

    I suspect that I am well behind the curve with regard to what has been
    meaningfully said and asked about consciousness, but it strikes me
    that the naturalists (and some Christians who fear the scientific
    description) focus on the physical process, believing that an
    exhaustive physical description of the biochemical processes going on
    in our heads now would "explain" consciousness.

    I would like to suggest that this microscopic reductionism can conceal
    knowledge, and question whether this approach is likely to lead to
    real understanding of consciousness. I think the following quote from
    a physics paper by Yoshi Oono is germane: (Please forgive typos--I am
    copying it as I type)

    Suppose a workstation is given to the scientists of some planet
    where there is no computer. They would first study the response of the
    machine using the keyboard. But very soon they would be eager to open
    up the blackbox to find IC's and VLSI's, etc. Their diligent study
    soon demand destruction of these circuits. They might study
    graph-theoretical properties of the patterns they would find, and they
    would discover semiconductors. Soon they would discover atoms and
    electrons, eventually protons, mesons, and quarks. Are all these
    discoveries helpful to understand the computer? Going down the length
    scale to smaller and smaller scales in this case is definitely a road
    away from the actual understanding of the computer. We actually know
    that computers can be made without any semiconductors. What we see
    currently is a solid state physics representation of `computer'. We
    need a materials representation of `computer', but `computer' itself
    is something beyond each materials representation. Therfore, the
    materials-free understanding of `computer' is the true understanding
    of the computer.

    (Y. Oono, Modeling Macroscopic Nonlinear Space-Time Phenomena, IEICE
    Trans. Vol. E 74 (6), June 1991.)

    Most would agree that consciousness transcends a computer. Therefore,
    just as is the case with a computer, a "materials-free" understanding
    of consciousness may give a truer understanding.

    Joel W. Cannon | (724)223-6146
    Physics Department | jcannon@washjeff.edu
    Washington and Jefferson College |
    Washington, PA 15301 |