RE: Applied evolution

From: Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM (Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 11:06:29 EST

    Ever since our environment became our "ecology," the pertinent language has
    "evolved": jungles have become "rain forests"; swamps, "wetlands." And why
    not?

    Who would want to propose tax money to preserve a swamp?

    Therefore, teaching "applied evolution," must seem a lot more sexy, no pun
    intended, than calling it husbandry, or genetics, or immunology, or
    bacteriology, etc, etc. I mean, with the wrong terminology, most of this
    stuff would be some state Ag School or school of forestry, rather than in a
    top-rated university research center. And that, of course, could lead to
    serious "misallocation" of important research grants.

    But I would like to bring up some points...

    1. In the quote..."These examples
    present opportunities for education of the public and for
    nontraditional career paths in evolutionary biology..." what is the
    alternative to "evolutionary biology?" "Creationist biology?" Do the
    Fundies really have a gripe against the basic tenets of immunology? Of
    hybridization? Of computer viruses? (That last one was a stretch, but it
    was inferred in the authors' previous sentence.)

    2. The authors (I assume) chose "artificial selection" as the first group of
    key words to this proposal. If find this ironic, since the remainder of the
    paper would indicate that there isn't any such process. 8^)

    All in all, as good as expected.

    Norm Woodward
    Robins AFB GA