Re: Seely's response to AIG

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 15:55:38 EST

    Dale,

    Several years ago I used Strong's Concordance to count the number of times
    that the KJV used each of the various translations of the word 'erets. My
    recollection was that it was translated `land' 62% of the time and `earth'
    29% of the time, which leaves about 9% for other renderings. More modern
    translations probably render it as `earth' even fewer times than the KJV.
    Even when the KJV does say `earth', it is often obvious that the entire
    planet cannot be the intended meaning. (For example, in the Flood story
    itself read Gen. 8:9 in light of Gen. 8:5.)

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395