RE: Islam and terrorism, Islam and science

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 15:54:00 EST

    >Hmmm. Religious believers looking to modern science for a vindication of the credibility of their Sacred Book. Where have I seen that before?
    >
    >---Perhaps Haeckel's attempt to support Darwin's writings?

    Actually, it was Haeckel's attempts to support Haeckel's writings that caused problems. His ideas about development strictly recapitulating phylogeny are contrary to a modern evolutionary understanding. Embryos and juveniles face evolutionary pressures; consequently, mutations leading to favorable adaptations or exaptations will be favored. This means that embryos will not be as similar as Haeckel thought that they should be. Additionally, adaptively neutral mutations can lead to differentiation between embryos or juveniles.

    Nevertheless, there are many similarities among embryos or juveniles that are readily explained by evolution from a common ancestor but remain problematic for limited evolution advocates such as most intelligent design and young earth creationists.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        46860 Hilton Dr #1113
        Lexington Park MD 20653 USA
        bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa

    Sent via the WebMail system at mail.davidson.alumlink.com