Fear of Flying

From: Lucy Masters (masters@cox-internet.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 15:59:50 EDT

    Here's a touching story that might have meaning for some of you. My
    good friend and business partner left two weeks ago with her husband, a
    medical doctor specializing in infectious diseases, for conferences in
    Nova Scotia and Boston. Naturally, they became stranded due to the
    events of last week. They finally got rescheduled to fly out of Boston
    yesterday (Monday) for their long trip back to Texas, but Lisa (my
    friend) was distraught. She could not overcome the feeling that
    something terrible might happen on the airplane. And so it was on
    Sunday afternoon she left her hotel and walked down the street to
    Trinity Church so she could pray in the quiet sanctuary. As an
    Episcopal church, they do not place bibles in the pews, but rather have
    hymn books and the Book of Common Prayer.

    Unfamiliar with the Book of Common Prayer, Lisa decided to just open the
    book and read whatever presented itself to her. Call it coincidence, or
    call it God, the book fell open to Psalm 140. In her moment of fear and
    desperation, Lisa reported to me just today that reading those words
    turned out to be one of the most spiritual moments of her life. She is
    convinced God was reaching out to her directly. She described it as
    perhaps her only epiphany in life. For your convenience, I have retyped
    140 here:

    Deliver me, O Lord, from evildoers;
    protect me from those who are violent,
    who plan evil things in their minds and stir up wars continually.

    They make their tongue sharp as a snake's,
    and under their lips is the venom of vipers.

    Guard me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked;
    protect me from the violent who have planned my downfall.
    The arrogant have hidden a trap for me,
    and with cords they have spread a net,
    along the road they have set snares for me.

    I say to the Lord, "You are my God;
    give ear, O Lord, to the voice of my supplications."
    O Lord, my Lord, my strong deliverer,
    you have covered my head in the day of battle.
    Do not grant, O Lord, the desires of the wicked;
    do not further their evil plot.

    Those who surround me lift up their heads;
    let the mischief of their lips overwhelm them!
    Let burning coals fall on them!
    Let them be flung into pits, no more to rise!
    Do not let the slanderer be established in the land;
    let evil speedily hunt down the violent!

    I know that the Lord maintains the cause of the needy,
    and executes justice for the poor.
    Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name;
    the upright shall live in your presence.

    Lucy