Re: On homosexuality

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 17:47:30 EDT

    Dan wrote, in part, as follows:

    "God wants me to look beyond myself to him, to other people who differ
    from me ... and to his truly diverse world. On one level this would call
    me to reach out to gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders, and others,
    yet on another level it would tell me that they don't comprehend (or
    aren't able to embrace) the beauty of unity-in-diversity that is so
    wonderfully symbolized in monogamous heterosexual marriage."

    I do not see any conflict at all between these two ideas. On the second,
    you may, indeed, be right. In the same sense, then, those who are
    unmarried (never married) are similarly missing out on the diversity
    thing. That does not make them 2nd class people.

    Dan continues: "I'm not trying to make homosexual behavior out to be
    worse that other sins cataloged by Jesus (see Matt. 15:19) or Paul (see
    e.g. 2 Cor. 12:20). American culture, and the evangelical subculture in
    particular, should welcome artistic men and strong-minded women,
    challenge abusive
    machismo, encourage open dialogue, and show love and compassion to all.
    Yet as a general principle, I would at this time at least hold that
    heterosexuality is God's "Plan A." "

    At the beginning, you say "homosexual behavior" as if it were a
    monolithic thing; I claim, of course, that it is not. As to your last
    sentence, on what basis do you argue this? Would you argue this if the
    world were 96% homosexual and 4% heterosexual rather than the other way
    around? I would agree that heterosexual marriage is "plan A" but it
    clearly does not apply to 100% of the human population. But I expanded on
    this idea in a reply to George.

    Dan: "As Karl Evans quoting David Myers seems to indicate, the default
    position is grace, humility and love. I suggest, though, that
    short-circuiting the discussion would leave us with unchallenged
    assumptions and frustrated, even violent partisans. There is truth to be
    spoken in love (cf. Eph. 4:15), although grace knows when to keep
    silence."

    Yup. There are a number of people in the evangelical camp, even on this
    LISTSERV, who would like to see discussions of this sort cease. I
    sympathize with them, but my leading is definitely otherwise.

    Dan: "Once the school year is underway and a couple of projects are
    finished, I'll look for the Geiss and Messer book that Burgy recommends."

    I found an internet site which argues the homosexual issues both ways,
    and have just put a link to it on my own web site. It takes the form of a
    debate between Tony Compolo and his wife.

    Dan: "Meanwhile, another book challenges those who revere "preference"
    and turn "tolerance" into equivocation, relativism and compromise of
    important principles, when it says, "…let God be found true, though every
    man a liar…." (Romans 3:4)"

    And the gut issue is, of course, does my claim counter that book. Show me
    that it does, and I'll recant. Insist that it does, and I'll suggest you
    are reading into that book what is not there.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)