Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: George Andrews Jr. (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 11:24:15 EDT

    "D. F. Siemens, Jr." wrote:

    > I cannot ask for a better illustration of the transfer of the strictures
    > of our existence to the environment of the deity and, implicitly, to the
    > Eternal himself.

    How does this counter my arguments? It implies you hold some special
    faculty of knowing the "environment of the deity" other that observation or
    revelation; but even revelation is limited by human understanding which
    arises from observation. (The kingdom of heaven is like ... ).
    Respectfully, you haven't said anything conducive to explaining any mental
    activity: mathematical or religious; you have only offered categorical and
    compartmental notions of mental facilities that are incoherently
    independent yet connected. This has no explanatory power for the observed
    qualities of the human mind -- let alone for the conjured or reveled
    mysteries of God. We are physical: this pleases God. The earthly heavens
    reveal the hidden things of God. We are the image; this is all and this is
    enough to last an eternity :-).

    > There are differences in the two covenants in that the earlier
    > anticipated the latter, so that obedient faith to the revelation then
    > given fits perfectly with our faith to what is now revealed. Abraham's
    > faith made him righteous in God's sight, though he anticipated the Old
    > Covenant given at Sinai. As for God changing his relationship with us
    > again, I think you must mean the fullness of redemption. I see that as a
    > change in the human state so that we may fully enjoy the relationship
    > with God of which we now perceive only the first fruits.
    > Dave

    I refer to George M.'s recent post on God's limit and offer my amen to his
    views on God's immutability. :-)

    Thanks for the discourse Dave;
    George A.

    --