Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einsteinand Hammond proved God exists)

From: James W Stark (stark2301@voyager.net)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 21:36:20 EDT

    Hi George,
        Thanks for your comments.
    on 9/4/01 5:11 PM, George Andrews Jr. at gandrews@as.wm.edu wrote:

    > Hi James;
    > I have a few honest questions (and of course some comments :-) ):
    >
    > James W Stark wrote:
    >>
    >> In my worldview reality consists of a physical universe
    >> (matter), a mental world, (our awareness of the laws of
    >> mathematics as well as any subject matter.), and the
    >> spiritual realm (known to us through our consciousness.)
    >>
    > Are not our minds an epiphenomenan of our brains and therefore belong to
    > your first category of physical? i.e. mental activity =
    > electrical/chemical activity = subsets of physical phenomena.

    No, I do not see the mind as an epiphenomenona. Such a reductionistic view
    does not have sufficient explanatory power. The mind and brain are
    independent worlds connected through human consciousness. The brain is
    deterministic in structure, but the mind embraces decision agents that can
    use free will, which is not a program.

    > Can you explain what you mean by a "real" "spiritual realm"? I mean in
    > terms other then faith based; e.g. the statement: "I believe that ghosts
    > are real" is faith based; qualitatively different then say "electrons
    > exist". It seams to me that even the notion of spirit is fraught with
    > rational difficulties -- where as the notion of electrons is only
    > difficult epistemologically.

    You are raising the natural problem of measurement for what is real.
    Physicists and many other scientists insist on objective measurement, which
    is fine for experimental work. However, when you try to extend that model
    to explain the mind and a spiritual realm, your objectivity gets in the way.

    Whenever you or anyone interprets a model, we all are forced to use indirect
    measures, such as a theory. Our estimation of what is real then depends on
    our personal worldview. We as interpreters become the measuring
    instruments. Our testimony is presented as evidence of what is real. Our
    standard of reference for truth becomes the self. Such self-referencing
    cannot reach out beyond the self to God as THE truth.

    Thus the truth about any spiritual realm can only be measured through
    testimony. A barrier between the mind and the spiritual realm exists that
    can only be passed by a personal conviction in a belief in God and a belief
    in the truth of free will. Deny free will and the true presence of God and
    God's guidance will not be available.

    >>> God created matter.
    >>
    >> Or should we say energy rather than matter? Einstein's
    >> discovery of E = mc2 can be interpreted to imply how much
    >> energy is required to give the appearance of a certain
    >> amount of mass, which suggests that matter is an illusion.
    >> Did God create matter an illusion? Eastern religions start
    >> creation with illusion, while Christianity starts with
    >> truth.
    >>

    > Matter is indeed a "form" of energy but this is very, very different
    > than an "illusion". Matter really exists as "mass=inertia"; e.g.
    > baryons have mass (inertia) -- photons don't. E=mc^2 is a positive
    > assertion regarding the existence of matter; not a negation of it; i.e.
    > mass = E/c^2.

    Here, I agree with you that it is more meaningful to just allow matter to be
    energy. Here is a quote from Beyond E = mc2 by Bernard Haisch, Alfonso
    Rueda & H.E. Puthoff

    published in THE SCIENCES, Vol. 34, No. 6, November / December 1994, pp.
    26-31

    "In the view we will present, Einstein's formula is even more significant
    than physicists have realized. It is actually a statement about how much
    energy is required to give the appearance of a certain amount of mass,
    rather than about the conversion of one fundamental thing, energy, into
    another fundamental thing, mass".

    "Indeed, if that view is correct, there is no such thing as mass-only
    electric charge and energy, which together create the illusion of mass. The
    physical universe is made up of massless electric charges immersed in a
    vast, energetic, all-pervasive electromagnetic field. It is the interaction
    of those charges and the electromagnetic field that creates the appearance
    of mass. In other words, the magazine you now hold in your hands is
    massless; properly understood, it is physically nothing more than a
    collection of electric charges embedded in a universal energetic
    electromagnetic field and acted on by the field in such a way as to make you
    think the magazine has the property of mass. Its apparent weight and
    solidity arise from the interactions of charges and field".

    They are not alone in their choice to see mass as an illusion. I'm just
    following the story at this time. Extraction of free energy from the
    zero-point field is seen as a possibility.

    >> How ought we feel about mathematics not always estimating
    >> truth?
    >>
    >> James Stark
    >>
    > I think you may be confusing matematical truth with physical models and
    > observation; 1+1=2 is exactly true and 1+1=3 is not -- assuming one
    > accepts the requisite axioms for number theory (which one must in order
    > to add two numbers :-) ). Formal mathematics is about precise
    > mathematical truths; not estimates of physics. Of course, physics uses
    > math in formulating physical theories and models -- because math is so
    > very good in explaining physical phenomenon.

    Apparently, I'm not making my point very clear. To me the logical truth
    contained in mathematical equations cannot promise estimates of truth in
    reality. Thus, the equations we write may very well be mathematically
    sound. That does not mean that there is a valid interpretation of the same
    equations as truth in reality. Equations can represent illusions.

    James Stark