questions

From: Jason B (jsbode@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 16:24:22 EDT

    >[Hammond]
    >Unsupported assertions. Useless verbiage.

    And that refutes what?

    >psiigii wrote:
    >>I found the SPOG site to be far more propaganda than scientific
    >>proof;
    >
    >[Hammond]
    >Sorry, but anyone who holds such an opinion is de facto
    >scientifically illiterate to the point of hopelessness.
    >Certainly you can't believe that a scientist like me is
    >in hopefully such reduced circumstances that he would
    >have to waste his breath talking to a presumptuous
    >amateur. Do you?

    EVEN IF (and I doubt it) he is scientifically illiterate, that doesn't make
    what he says wrong. Prove what you say. And if it's not worth your breath,
    why even write the reply you did?

    >I REALLY WANT TO KNOW, GEORGE. I'M PUTTING MY PREJUDICES
    >ASIDE. IS THERE SOMETHING TO SPOG? IF SO, I CHALLENGE YOU,
    >GEORGE HAMMOND, TO PRESENT THIS EVIDENCE IN A MANNER
    >THAT IS TRULY COMPREHENSIBLE TO ALL. TEACH ME. TEACH US.
    >
    >[Hammond]
    >I'm not a teacher, neither was Al Einstein. In fact most
    >research scientists aren't. Point is, if you need a teacher,
    >you're in no position to be of any help, so therefore you are of
    >no use to me or SPOG.

    Someone once said "The smartest man is not who can understand the most
    complex ideas but the one who can express the most complex theories in words
    a 6th grader can understand." While I realize there is terminology to
    establish, etc... that misses the point.

    >Point is, if you need a teacher, you're in no position to be of
    >any help, so therefore you are of no use to me or SPOG.

    Last I checked, there are a rather large number of universities training
    people. If needing a teacher implies uselessness, what is the point of
    these schools?

    And, on the matter of usefulness, it's nice to notice that people are judged
    based solely on their academic merits from your perspective.

    >>IF YOU CANNOT DO THAT, THEN YOU ADMIT TO ALL HERE THAT
    >>YOUR ASSERTIONS ARE JUST A WASTE OF OUR TIME TO READ.
    >>THEY will be no more than "Unsupported assertions. Useless
    >>verbiage."
    >
    >[Hammond]
    >It's of absolutely no use to try and threaten OR con me
    >into giving you a free education. University degrees are
    >presently running at $20,000 per year. I'm not running a
    >charity. Those who really want to know about SPOG will
    >find a way to figure it out with what ability they have.
    ><SNIP>

    Interesting. You claim SPOG. Someone asks for support. You reply with
    "I'm not running a charity."

    >As for overprivileged curiosity seekers and hecklers,
    >there is no lever in their possession which can force me to give
    >them a luxurious, spoon-fed tutorial. Sorry. You'll have to
    >wait for the book to come out and pay for a ticket like all the
    >other half interested well off but oh so busy thrill seekers.

    Noone can force you to support your assertions. That's obvious. But then,
    you can't force anyone to believe them either. If you support what you say
    with a solid, accessible rationale, perhaps you can help the theory,
    assuming correctness, to become as great as you claim it will faster.

    >This scientific knowledge is a luxury and a privilege, and only
    >those who need to know are going to possess it. The rest will
    >be informed about it in the newspapers a few years from now, and
    >told what the new law of the land is on television and in the
    >media as subsequent world events unfold. I'm afraid you fall
    >into the latter category.

    So why will the masses believe the SPOG anytime in the future without any
    sort of proof they can decipher?

    > Finally, lest anyone get the wrong impression, I am NOT a
    >"wise s.o.b." by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just a big
    >boy with a big scientific cannon, and I have to be careful at
    >all times about amateurs getting in front of it. It keeps me real
    >scared and nervous, believe me.

    Sounds like paranoia. If your theory is correct, amateurs should pose no
    problem. Why worry so much?

    Jason Bode