Re: Macro- and microevolution [was: Re: Icons of Evolution]

From: Todd S. Greene (tgreene@usxchange.net)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 05:55:25 EDT

    Hi, Paul.

    I appreciate the interesting and relevant response.

    I fully agree with you that "macroevolution" and "microevolution" come
    from the literature of evolutionary biology and paleontology. The
    problem is that the same words are used differently, and in a muddled
    fashion, by anti-evolution creationists. In particular, when
    paleontologists talk about "macroevolutionary trends," they are
    obviously referring to more than genetic processes. There are also
    unique events which have had great determinations on our evolutionary
    history, such as impacts by large comets or asteroids. Or, for example,
    if our sun went into a cycle of average decreased energy output such
    that the earth's average temperature dropped significantly, this would
    have obvious effects on life on the earth, and this would be reflected
    in our evolutionary history (the fossil record). It is no surprise that
    paleontologists focus on such things.

    It is these kinds of considerations that make macroevolution much more
    than the sum of the biological processes involved in microevolution, and
    why you can't extrapolate microevolutionary processes to determine or
    explain macroevolutionary trends.

    Creationists have made hay over misconstruing these kinds of
    terminological distinctions for a few decades now, but that hay was full
    of weeds when they gathered it to begin with, and by now it's been in
    the barn so long it's very old, moldy, and rotten, and the cattle and
    horses just won't eat it.

    So when you state that "the distinction between micro- and
    macroevolution was formulated by evolutionary biologists (not
    creationists or design theorists), and remains a topic of active
    research and debate within evolutionary theory," this is, of course,
    correct. Creationists just aren't using these terms in the same way.

    And this is all beside the primary point, which is that there is nothing
    other than the "microevolutionary" processes involved in genetic
    inheritance in a species population, and interactions with other species
    in an ecosystem, that has been yet found to be needed to account for
    evolutionary change. Species evolution is the only evolution that there
    is. That this can't explain a particular historical event and that
    event's effect on macroevolutionary trends, such as a massive extinction
    event by a large asteroid impact (which is explained by astronomy and
    geology and not biology) which produces radical changes in the
    "evolutionary landscape," is completely irrelevant to the
    anti-evolutionist argument.

    Regards,
    Todd S. Greene
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/7755/