Re: historicity of Christ

From: James_Taggart@multilink.com
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 08:24:54 EDT

    One of the most compelling arguments for the resurrection comes from the
    New Testament itself, it seems to me.

    In Luke Chapter 22 we see Peter denying his knowlege of Jesus: "But he
    denied it, saying, 'Woman, I do not know him.'" and later "Man, I do not
    know what you are talking about."

    The next words from Peter are in Acts Chapter 2, where he says: "Jesus of
    Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with deeds of power, wonder, and
    signs that God did through him among you, as you yourselves know--this man,
    handed over to you according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God,
    you curcified and killed by the hands of those outside the law. But God
    raised him up, having freed him from death, because it was impossible for
    him to be held in its power."

    What could possibly have occurred that caused this complete change of
    attitude?

    Jonathan Clarke <jdac@alphalink.com.au>@udomo5.calvin.edu on 06/12/2001
    05:47:16 AM

    Sent by: asa-owner@udomo5.calvin.edu

    cc: American Scientific Affiliation <asa@calvin.edu>
    Subject: Re: historicity of Christ

    Hi George

    george murphy wrote:

    > [snip]
    > Whether Jesus rose from the dead, performed miracles, was the
    > Messiah, &/or Son of God, &c - i.e., all the theological claims which
    > Christians have made about Jesus - is another matter. These are the
    > beliefs that many people in various ways have attributed to hellenistic
    > mystery cults and so forth.

    You are doubtless more knowledgeable about this than I, but I suspect that
    this type of criticism is best answered by looking at the cultural
    likelihood of such beliefs arising in 1st century Judaism, especially after
    the execution of the leader of the movement. There were many messiah
    figures in the 1st century AD and BC in Judea and Galilee, none had such
    stories associated with the birth, life and death.

    Jon