Re: divine action/creaturely action

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 14:31:15 EDT

    George,

    I think we agree but you are a lot more supportive of Howard's
    viewpoint than I am, so I'm thinking we're not exactly saying the
    same thing.

    Two points to quibble on.

    1.) You wrote that God "grants a kind of relative autonomy to
    creatures in that God does not (at least in the vast majority of
    cases) make them do things which are inconsistent with their
    natures." With this I can agree, but I'd probably shy away from using
    the word "autonomy" here.

    2.) Your distinction between mystery in the reality of the Trinity
    and mystery in the formulation of the doctrine escapes me a bit. Can
    there be antinomies in our formulation? "Fully God and fully man"
    seems to be such and reflects the reality and mystery of the
    Incarnation. My sense in the sovereignty/responsibility debate is
    that there is a belief that sovereignty (in the sense I am
    advocating) makes free agency and authentic creaturely activity
    *impossible*. In my mind this is like saying that it is impossible
    for Jesus to fully God and fully man. No doubt, our human categories,
    definitions, logic, etc. suggest that it is impossible. But
    revelation says otherwise.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523