Re: divine action/creaturely action

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 11:19:23 EDT

    I too have problems with Howard's notion of coercion. I just had the
    occasion to be re-reading Charles Hodge's chapter on providence in
    Systematic Theology. At the end of a long discussion on the various
    speculations about God's interactions with the creation in his
    governance and sustenance, he writes:

    "All we know, and all we need to know, is, (1.) That God does govern
    all his creatures; and (2.) That his control over them is consistent
    with their nature, and with his own infinite purity and excellence."
    (p. 605)

    We may not be satisfied with an "all we need to know" type answer,
    but what is interesting about Hodge's conclusion is that it affirms
    God's absolute control and at the same time affirms the creature's
    authentic creaturely activity (even the action of free agents). He
    also escapes the problem of evil. What an economy of words!

    Those of us who think this statement contains a contradiction or want
    to peer in more detail into the how's of God interactions with the
    universe will indeed be dissatisfied, but, as I have said before,
    this antinomy is just an extension of the sovereignty/responsibility
    antinomy. Christianity is no stranger to such formulations. We see
    the same sort of tensions in our discussions of the human/divine
    natures of Christ and the nature of the Trinity.

    So in answer to Howard's concern about "coercion", I simply say,
    "No!" God's control does not violate the real agency of the creature.
    One of the interesting things about Hodge's evaluation of the various
    solutions posed is that they each introduce new problems. Howard's
    formulation, I believe, does just that. It compromises the governance
    of God over the details of creation because he desires to preserve
    authentic creaturely agency (and perhaps in the interest of solving
    the problem of evil). But, this only appears to be the case because
    he cannot see how both can be true. He cannot see how God can control
    without coercion. (I'm not sure I can either, but I affirm that it is
    possible since both scripture and experience tell us so.)

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523