Re: So. Baptist Spin on BOE Vote

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 00:40:05 EDT

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:02:57 -0400 george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    writes:

    > Comment: Halton Arp is hardly a good example of someone being
    persecuted
    > simply because of his unorthodox ideas.

    That's definitely not the impression I got from reading his books.
    "Since the people who make these kinds of observations have now been
    excluded from regular observations on the [Palomar 200-inch]
    telescope.....It is clear there is a vested political interest in
    suppressing these kinds of observing projects." (_Quasars, Redshifts
    and Controversies_, 1987, p 162

    > Question: Is the van Flandern mentioned below the one who thought
    that he
    > had evidence for a time variation of the gravitational "constant" back
    in the
    > 70s? If so, this was hardly an example of "pseudoscience" but OTOH
    would do
    > nothing to support young earth views: Variations in G over 10^4 years
    would
    > have been (again I'm going from memory) on the order of 10^-6, too
    small to
    > have a significant geophysical effect.

    I'm sure that must be the same Tom Van Flandern, who on his website has
    some interesting stuff about the speed of gravity propogating faster than
    light. He says if gravity didn't propogate almost instantly then the
    planetary orbits would be unstable and move away from the sun. His
    website is:

                    www.metaresearch.org

    I don't remember anything about a variation in the gravational constant,
    but he does spout some very interesting ideas. I think his website links
    to some info by/about Arp.

    Bill