RE: Question

From: Hofmann, Jim (jhofmann@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 14:09:45 EST

    I don't know if Dawkins has reviewed Miller's book, but he wrote a rather
    blunt (what else?) critique of Pope John Paul II's 1996 comments on the
    spiritual component of humanity that science cannot address. Here's a mild
    sample:

    "More generally it is completely unrealistic to claim, as Gould and many
    others do, that religion keeps itself away from science's turf, restricting
    itself to morals and values. A universe with a supernatural presence would
    be a fundamentally and qualitatively different kind of universe from one
    without. The difference is, inescapably, a scientific difference. Religions
    make existence claims, and this means scientific claims. "

    If you want harsher examples, you can find them at:

    http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/fi/dawkins_18_2.html

    "When Religion Steps on Science's Turf : The Alleged Separation Between the
    Two Is Not So Tidy " by Richard Dawkins

    Jim Hofmann
    Philosophy Department and Liberal Studies Program
    California State University Fullerton
    http://nsmserver2.fullerton.edu/departments/chemistry/evolution_creation/web