Re: Question

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 17:58:05 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > Jim offered the following quotation in response to Bert's request:
    >
    > > How about this:
    > >
    > > "Man is the result of a purposeless and natural process that did not have
    > > him in mind"
    > >
    > > George Gaylord Simpson, The Meaning of Evolution, pp. 344-345.
    > >
    > > Quoted by Johnson at the following:
    > > http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/fte/darwinism/chapter4.html
    >
    > Two comments to keep in mind when quoting such a remark:
    >
    > 1. This is an expression of Simpson's personal belief, not a statement that
    > is (or could be) the conclusion of purely scientific considerations. The
    > scientific concept of evolution, for instance, does not lead to this
    > conclusion, nor does it need it as a foundational presupposition.
    >
    > 2. Just because a preacher of naturalism (who also happens to be a prominent
    > scientist) says "X", it does not follow that X is true or that X is
    > considered to be true by the majority of scientists.

    & a footnote to Howard's 2d footnote: Further statements by scientists such as
    Simpson that therefore evolution is incompatible with Christianity carry very
    little weight. I am amused when Christian anti-evolutionists cite such
    statements approvingly, as if Simpson et al were expert theologians.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/