Re: Earth View

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 16:07:48 EST

    A great image. It was a lot of fun finding places I had lived or been to on
    it.

    I have one minor (or major) quibble. The International Space Station is not
    built by Boeing. So far it consists of:

    Zvezda service module (Korolev)
    Zarya functional cargo block (Khrunichev)
    Unity connection node (Boeing)
    SRTM mast (several different trusses and sub units including a solar panel
    array)
    Destiny Laboratory
    Leonardo Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (Italian Space Agency)

    In addition the ISS always has 1 Soyuz ferry/lifeboat attached (built by
    OKB-1) and usually on Progress supply vehicle (NPOE).

    Later additions will include a Canadian manipulator and Japanese and European
    Space Agency modules. There are also components from Brazil.

    The ISS is not the sole work of Boeing or even the US, any more than space is
    the primarily a US playground. Indeed, many of the most significant
    achievements in space travel and exploration have been achieved by countries
    other than the US.

    Respectfully

    Jon