RE: halos

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 10:11:12 EST

    Moorad,

    The web page that Gentry refers to ( http://www.halos.com ) does not say
    very much. I don't understand how he can decide that the halo is due to
    Po-218 that, by his own admission, has a short half life (3 minutes).
    Po-218 is formed by alpha decay from Rn-222 which in turn is formed by alpha
    decay of Ra-226 and the "ultimate parent" is U-238. The end product of this
    decay scheme is Pb-206. Thus, there is a constant supply of Po-218 and I
    would expect to find Po-218 in my lungs as a result of breathing trace
    amounts of Radon gas. Granite contains typically ~5 ppm U and, with time,
    these daughter products will be formed. Even if there is no U-238 in the
    immediate vicinity of the halo, the mineral that contains the halo could
    have been crystallized with a trace amount of Ra-226 or even Rn-222. But,
    maybe I'm missing something in his argument. Regardless, the natural
    reactor operating at Oklo, Gabon is, to me, proof positive that the earth is
    very old because nuclear chain reactions are not possible with the current U
    isotopic composition.

    Chuck Vandegraaf
    Pinawa, MB