Pi [was Ramm, Rimmer, etc]

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 08:07:59 EST

    George Murphy wrote:

    << (Roman engineers used pi =
     25/8 even though they knew that 22/7 was more accurate
    because eighths were easier for them to work with.) >>

    I had wondered if it was an approximation. This is much
    better because it shows evidence that approximation
    techniques were purposefully used in the ancient world.
    A skeptic could still argue that the tank should have
    been 31 cubits around. In that sense, Gordin's answer
    also permits a little more slack in the measurement.

    On the flip side. if the bible had said
    that the tank was 31.41592654.... cubits (to 32
    decimal places) it would look a lot more suspect ---
    particularly if we learn some day that there actually
    is other intelligent life in the universe.

    by Grace alone do we proceed,
    Wayne