New genetic data and mankind's ancestry

From: pruest@pop.dplanet.ch
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 11:14:49 EST

    Hi, Glenn

    This is my response to your last post of 19 Feb
    [<glenn.morton@btinternet.com> Sun, Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:13:18 -0000, ASA
    list V1#2004], in which you answered my post of the same day
    [<pruest@pop.dplanet.ch> Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:32:00 +0100, ASA list
    V1#2004]. Due to a bout of flu I'm somewhat late.

    It seems that you misunderstood what I intended to say. Apparently, I
    didn't express myself clearly enough in my rather concise comments. Let
    me try once more.

    Underlying my comments of 19 Feb is the following model of human origins
    (and it is just a tentative model, subject to revision, cf. my earlier
    contributions to the ASA list and PSCF): The human species descended
    from a prehuman (hominid) species by evolution. In this evolutionary
    descent are included the bodily, as well as the psychological or soulish
    aspects (cf. the expression "living souls" used in Genesis 1:20 for
    animals). At a certain time point "S" (for "spiritual dimension",
    corresponding to the "image of God", Gen.1:27), the Creator endowed a
    group of hominids with the spiritual dimension (or image of God), which
    previously did not exist in any earthly creatures, creating them into
    humans. The group comprised an unspecified number of males and females
    (Gen.1:27, Hebrew original), possibly a few thousand, who within the
    same sixth "day" filled the earth (Gen.1:28 and 31). Of course, this
    definition of what it means to be human is a theological one, not an
    anthropological one; it may not be easily recognizable in the scientific
    evidence.

    At a later time point "A" (for "Adam", Gen.2:7), the Lord God entered
    into a particular personal relationship with one individual, Adam,
    calling him for a specific purpose. He was one of a preexisting
    population of pre-Adamite humans, just as Abraham was one of a
    preexisting Chaldean population. This implies that Adam and Eve were not
    the first humans, and that the doctrine of a biological inheritance of
    "original sin" is incorrect. Sin is not a biological condition, but a
    spiritual one. It is a fact of life that every human being voluntarily
    commits his/her own "original sin" or fall, thus becoming lost and in
    need of Christ's redemption. Paul very clearly specifies that "death
    spread to all men, because all men sinned" (Rom.5:12), not because all
    men descended biologically from Adam. By his failing in his response to
    God's challenge, Adam became the representative of all of fallen mankind
    - before, during, and after his time -, just as Jesus Christ is the
    representative of redeemed mankind (Rom.5) - before and after his time
    on earth and crucifixion.

    Science has defined a time "H" (for "Homo") for the origin of our genus,
    approximately 2 million years ago. It is more difficult to date time
    points "S" and "A". On the basis of an apparently significant
    "acceleration of cultural evolution" possibly interpretable in a
    spiritual context around 100,000 years ago, I very tentatively date "S"
    to about 100,000 years ago. On the basis of the few cultural indicators
    in the first few chapters of Genesis, I tentatively date "A" to about
    10,000 years ago, just after the last glaciation. But of course I am
    ready to accept better arguments for other dates. Does either of the
    time points "H", "S", or "A" necessarily imply a population bottleneck?
    Maybe. We don't know. As I indicated in my last post, a thorough review
    of the newest relevant genetic data seem to indicate that there was (at
    least) one real bottleneck in the late Pleistocene, much later than 1
    million years ago.

    What do gene trees tell us about the origin of the human species? If
    this origin is given by a population bottleneck, this bottleneck might
    be datable approximately. If the bottleneck comprised one couple only,
    there can be, for genes occurring singly in the genome, at most two
    different allelic gene lineages beyond this time. I believe the
    bottleneck was larger (see above). But even with a bottleneck population
    of 10,000 breeding individuals, followed by a population expansion, most
    allelic gene lineages would coalesce to about the time of the
    bottleneck, but some will not! We must clearly distinguish between gene
    lineages and (non-interbreeding) population lineages. A very ancient
    coalescence time of allelic genes occurring in modern humans does not
    imply the splitting of the population at that ancient time, followed by
    recombining into an interbreeding population later on. Two anciently
    coalescing alleles may just happen to have survived each only in one of
    two different branches of a population originating in a much later
    population split. It does not prove the multiregionality model of human
    origins. Nor does it necessarily imply that the population at the time
    of coalescence was the same species (biologically defined by
    interbreeding potential) as the modern one.

    And now just a few more comments to your specific objections (given as
    <<...>>):

    << Of course coalescence times are very imprecise. Wo said they
    weren't???
    Certainly not I. In fact, the Alonso and Armour coalescence times are
    very,
    very broad...
    Table 5. The age (T, 10^3 years) of the MRCA of human sequences
    Sequences Ne Tmode Tmean 95% Interval
    All samples 10,000 1,288 1,356 712~2,112 ...
    But it certainly isn't 6000, 10,000 or even 120,000 years. >>

    You are right, I could have left out my first point about the
    impreciseness of coalescence times. On my second point, a coalescence
    date is basically insecure, because it depends on the assumption of a
    molecular clock, which in many cases has been shown to be incorrect.
    Furthermore, Alonso and Armour are talking of the age of the most recent
    common ancestor of gene sequences, not of separate human populations.
    These ages don't tell us much (if anything) about the age of the human
    species.

    << This is false logic. You are equivocating origination with expansion.
    Everyone agrees that the population expanded in the Upper Pleistocene.
    That
    doesn't mean that the population ORIGINATED in the Upper Pleistocene. >>

    Of course, origination is not the same as expansion. I never said the
    human species originated, as an evolving population, in the late
    Pleistocene. What I was thinking of was the possible transitions, during
    this evolution, through the time points "H", "S", and "A" defined above,
    and how these points might possibly show up in the population dynamics.
    As "S" represents the origin of the human species, theologically
    defined, I expect it (according to Gen.1:28) to have coincided with a
    population expansion. "A" presumably was the origin of a particular
    divine economy with mankind, but it is more difficult to say what this
    might imply for human population dynamics.

    << If they have separate genetic lineages older than 120,000 years, then
    my
    point is made. If you aren't implying that mankind is very recent, then
    exactly what are you implying? >>

    Old separate gene lineages can happily coexist in an undivided
    population evolving through a speciation process happening later.

    << Why does expansion mean a dividing line? >>

    I agree that in saying time point "A" might correspond to the start of a
    population expansion, I am on insecure grounds. Such a reference to time
    point "A" was derived from the scientific indicators for an expansion
    after the last glaciation. A similar reference to the earlier time point
    "S" would be more appropriately derived from the biblical reference in
    Gen.1:28.

    << And God creating their spiritual dimension made them engage in more
    procreation than the animal ancestors, thus causing the expansion? >>

    There are other factors to expansion than just procreation! Following
    the divine command, intelligence, language, social structures, refined
    tools, agriculture, opportunity, climate, etc.

    << You are claiming that mankind couldn't interbreed with H. erectus
    even if he had a time machine. >>

    No, I wrote: "It doesn't follow, however, that it was the same species
    throughout the 2 million years: H. sapiens might well have been unable
    to mate with H.erectus, even if he could have used a time machine." We
    just have no way of telling whether the two (morphological) species
    would be the same (biological) species. And with much less assurance can
    we tell whether H.erectus was theologically human. From scientific
    evidence, we cannot conclude that time point "S" occurred more than 1
    million years ago.

    << Yet we know from observation that wolves and coyotes successfully
    interbreed
    all the time... So exactly why is the biology of man so different from
    that of the coyotes and wolves? Is it as I suspect, because your
    theology requires it to be different? Dogs and Jackals successfully
    interbreed and they split apart 3.5 million years ago. If this can
    happen with them, then why can't humans of today
    interbreed with H. erectus of 2 million years ago?... But of course you
    wouldn't want this type of ability in mankind and H.erectus would we?
    Thus you exclude it on theological grounds. But if we apply what we see
    in other species, we would have to conclude that we and the
    Australopithecines would have been able to interbreed. >>

    The point of the argument is the question of dating time point "S". I
    did not claim the two Homo species could not be interfertile, but just
    that we cannot know, and therefore cannot claim for certain that they
    would have been. The whole argument from canine species is beside the
    point, even if it were possible to conclude from the interfertility of
    two given species to the interfertility of two other species elsewhere
    in the tree of life.

    << This contradicts what you said above. If multiregionality is wrong,
    then it isn't possible to have multiple genetic lineages older than the
    origin of our species. Yet you acknowledge that the genetic lineages are
    probably older than the origin of humanity. You can't have it both
    ways. >>

    There is no contradiction if you distinguish between gene lineages and
    population lineages. They are not collinear. Gene coalescence can
    predate a population split (or speciation) by far.

    << Secondly, it seems apparent to me that most of the support for the
    recent origin of humanity is depended upon non-recombining types of DNA.
    Mitochondria don't recombine, the Y chromosome doesn't. I don't know
    about the autosomal regions they studied, whether they recombine or not,
    but it does seem like an awful lot depends upon this to the exclusion
    of any and all nuclear (recombining) data.
    And as I said, all it takes is for one gene to have multiple lineages
    prior
    to 120,000 years ago for the recent origin of humanity to be false. We
    have
    passed that hurdle now. >>

    No. Takahata et al. used all reasonably usable data available to reach
    their conclusion. So, the present state of affairs is quite strongly
    against multiregionality and for a recent expansion of humanity. Of
    course, you may always expect future results to reverse the situation.

    Glenn, I am challenged by your intensive criticism, but I invite you to
    continue with it. It might improve my model...

    I would also appreciate the comments of others on this list!

    Peter Ruest <pruest@dplanet.ch>