Re: Sin and Death

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 15:33:29 EST

    Iain Strachan wrote:

    > Kenneth wrote:
    >
    > > Why are the first 11 chapters of Genesis included in Holy Writ? In
    > > particular what should we understand about the scriptures recorded in
    > > Genesis 1, 2 and 3? Do the creation stories, and the fall story teach us
    > > anything at all?
    >
    > Call me old-fashioned and naive but I truly thought the point of the Fall
    > story was to tell us about our fallen state, arising from disobedience to
    > God. Without the Fall, what is the point of the Crucifixion? On the Cross,
    > Jesus says "My God, My God why have you forsaken me?", something we've all
    > been saying since the disobedience of Adam, and A&E were thrown out of Eden.
    >
    > I have always been stunned and amazed by the vast scope of Romans 5:18:
    >
    > Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to
    > condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon
    > all men unto justification of life.
    >
    > I am sure the above applies whether you take it as literal history or as
    > some sort of metaphorical parable. It seems to me it's at the core of the
    > Gospel. Without the Fall, the Gospel is meaningless (or at least Rom 5:18
    > is meaningless).
    >
    > ... or maybe I'm just a dinosaur in this respect ? ;-)

            The basic human problem is sin. Questions about how & why humanity is
    sinful are secondary - which doesn't mean unimportant or unnecessary. Romans
    1-4 set out the fundamental problem and its solution before any reflection on
    the relationship between Christ and Adam in Chapter 5.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/