Re: New Kansas Science Stds.

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 17:26:14 EST

    Keith, from the center of the Kansas chaos, posted in response to my
    comments:

    "Welcome to the real world! If those qualifying statements were not
    included in the standards, it would not have been approved. Saying this,
    I also agree with the intent of those words. Teaching science is not
    about compelling belief, it is always about introducing students to a way
    of learning about the world around us, and demonstrating the observation
    basis for our current theoretical understanding."

    Your first sentence sounds a little bit like a put down, Keith, but I'll
    take it with a < G >. As for your second sentence, I'll assume you know
    whereof you speak.

    I'm in substantial disagreement with the rest of your post. If I do not
    try to "compel belief" in gravitation's power to kill someone who flouts
    it, or on any number of other interesting physical phenomena such as
    electricity, heat, radiation, etc., and stuck only to the "high road" of
    " introducing students to a way of learning" then I'd be doing only 1/2
    the job. If anyone in the school lab was injured or killed because I did
    not "compel belief" in some of those things, I am sure I'd wind up in
    court.

    Obviously, as George (I think) pointed out, belief cannot be imposed on
    anyone who resists. But one can try.

    On issues such as the equal number of ribs by gender, or the ancient age
    of the earth, or the non coexistence of dinosaurs and humans, or the non
    superiority of one race over another, perhaps a good case can be made for
    not teaching these "dogmatically," or trying to "compel belief" in any
    one of them. Perhaps.

    A caveat - I'm thinking more of high school people than graduate
    students.

    Burgy (John Burgeson)

    web page

    www.burgy.50megs.com