RE: Death before the fall

From: Stephen J. Krogh (panterragroup@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 02:27:57 EST

    Any thought on Hugh Ross' explanation of these issues:

    From Creation and Time:

    Romans 5:12 says, "Sin entered the world through one man, and death through
    sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned." Some
    interpret this as implying that no death of any kind occurred before the sin
    of Adam, and, hence, only a few days could possibly have transpired from the
    creation of the first life forms to the sin of Adam. However, the absence
    of physical death would pose just as much a problem for three 24-hour days
    as it would for three billion years. Many species of life cannot survive
    hours without food, and the mere ingestion of food requires at least the
    death of plants or plant parts. Recognizing the problems of reading Romans
    5:12 as a statement about physical death, others have interpreted the verse
    as meaning "soulish" death. In the Genesis creation account, distinctions
    are made between physical animals (invertebrates and lower vertebrates),
    soulish animals (birds and mammals), and spirit beings (man). The
    difficulty with this adjusted view is that soulish animals are not condemned
    to "death through sin." Of all life on Earth, only man earned the title
    "sinner." The key point is that Romans 5:12 is addressing neither physical
    nor soulish death. When Adam sinned, he instantly "died", just as God said
    he would; "In the day you eat of it, you shall surely die" - Gen. 2:17. Yet
    he remained alive physically and soulishly. He died spiritually. He lost
    his fellowship with God and gained a natural inclination to defy God. Gen.
    3 records that after Adam died "spiritually" through sin, then God sent an
    angel to block his access to the Tree of Life.
    16. Bloodshed before Adam's sin does not alter the doctrine of atonement.
    Hebrews 9:22 says, "in fact, the law requires that nearly everything be
    cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no
    forgiveness." Ken Ham of the Institute for Creation Research interprets the
    verse this way, "The basis of the Gospel message is that God brought in
    death and bloodshed because of sin." As he explains, "If death and bloodshed
    of animals or man existed before Adam sinned, then the whole basis of
    atonement - the basis of redemption - is destroyed."

    Hebrews 10:1-4 explains that the blood of animal sacrifices will not take
    away sin. The sacrificial killing of animals was a physical picture of the
    spiritual death caused by sin, which necessitated the death of a substitute
    to make atonement, as well as foreshadowing of the ultimate, efficacious
    sacrifice that God himself would provide. Since the penalty for sin is
    spiritual death, no animal sacrifice could ever atone for sin. The crime is
    spiritual. Thus the atonement had to be made by a spiritual being. The
    spilling of blood before Adam's sin in no way affects or detracts from the
    doctrine of atonement. Upholding that central doctrine in no way demands a
    creation scenario in which none of God's creatures received a scratch or
    other blood-letting wound before Adam and Eve sinned.

    "The subjection of the creation to "its bondage of decay" does not restrict
    the length of creation days. Romans 8:20-21 says, "For the creation was
    subjected to frustration (or futility - NKJV), not by its own choice, but by
    the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will
    be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom
    of the children of God." Some claim this passage implies that Adam's sin
    ushered in physical death, natural decay, and increasing entropy. They
    conclude that decay and death did not occur until Adam sinned. Thus, the
    time from the universe's creation to Adam's fall must be brief enough to
    explain the lack of evidence for a period devoid of decay and death. While
    it's obvious that freedom from decay could not extend through billions of
    years, it is less obvious but equally certain that it could not last for
    even one 24-hour day. Without decay, work (at least in the current
    universe) would be impossible. Without work, physical life would be
    impossible. But life did exist according to according to Genesis 1, at
    least from the third day of creation onward. Thus, Romans 8:20-21 could not
    be inferring that Adam's sin inaugurated the process of decay. Actually,
    Romans 8 explicitly indicates only when the bondage to decay will end. It
    says little about when it first began. Verse 22 applies to the entire
    creation groans and labors with birth pangs until now. This in turn, seems
    to imply that the process of decay has been in effect since the universe was
    created. It is just as likely that the text refers to another kind of decay,
    the disorder in man's life that resulted from his rebellion against God. In
    Gen. 1:28 God commanded man to maintain his environment. But, since man
    first sinned, the opposite has occurred. Man's effect upon his environment
    is analogous to the result of sending a two year old to clean up his closet.
    As one would need to wait for the two year old to grow up a little more
    before expecting him to properly clean it up. So, too, the creation (and
    the replacement of this universe with a new one) must wait for the human
    race to overcome its problem of sin."