Re: So far, new genetics leave plenty of room for faith

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 21:29:27 EST

    from Steven Meyer, ateo@whitworth.edu writes:

    > Allan,
    >
    > May I suggest that perhaps you have misunderstood Steve. I have had several
    > conversations with him, and with regard to that quote, I believe that the
    > enterprise of science needs to allow back on the table the possibility of
    > God. It was not meant to be a theological claim. He simply wishes to see
    > scientists consider God as a possibility.

    >>> says.
    >>> "We want to go back to that great 19th-century question and say: Maybe
    >>> they
    >>> were wrong.... If there's evidence of real design, then the God question
    >>> may
    >>> be back on the table."

    I hope I have misinterpreted Meyer. But in the context of the article (which
    was about whether discoveries about the human genome threatened religion), it
    certainly *seems* like Meyer is saying that "evidence of real design" (as
    opposed to, say, Jesus) is the key to "the God question." Maybe this
    impression is the fault of the reporter and not Meyer.

    However, I would bet that most people, both in the church and outside, see
    such statements as promoting God-of-the-Gaps ("Christianity isn't false after
    all because the ID people are showing evolution isn't true after all")
    theology, which is an abomination. I find it frustrating that nobody in the
    ID movement ever seems willing to come out and say that such theology is
    wrong and is a misuse of their work. Unless they recognize that the church
    is taking their work as a sandy foundation on which to build an unsound
    semi-deistic theology (with its apologetic basis on gaps instead of Christ)
    and make efforts to reverse this, I fear that (even if their work is
    worthwhile from a scientific or philosophical standpoint) they are doing more
    harm than good.

    I also fear that nobody in the ID movement ever speaks against "God of the
    Gaps" theology because their most prominent popularizer appears to hold it.

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"