Toward a Christian View of a Scientific World

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 11:19:54 EST

    George -- just wanted to let you know I purchased this book and last
    night began my way through it.

    I like it. It seems "just right" for leading a SS class on any level from
    High School on up on the issues the title suggests. I'll be suggesting
    such a class to our Christian Education committee later this year.

    There are, of course (you knew this was coming) a few marginal notes I've
    put into my copy. There are those which are complimentary; I'll not
    mention them here except to say there are several such so far.

    I'll pick up today on one sentence I found on page 19. You write:

    "The successes of science-based technology are one indication that
    science actually is telling us something about a real world."

    It is not that I disagree with this, but I suggest it might well have
    been offset by, say, Bohr's somewhat famous saying:

    "It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how nature
    is. Physics concerns only what we can SAY about nature."

    Sorry I do not have at hand the source, so I cannot be sure of the exact
    wording.

    For others on this list -- the book is about $18 including shipping from
    CSS Publishing. See

    www.csspub.com

    Burgy (John Burgeson)

    whose web page (back in operation) is