Re: Miracles and Science

From: George Andrews Jr. (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 08:58:58 EST

    Bill Payne wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:40:13 -0500 James_Taggart@multilink.com writes:
    > >
    > > You missed my point. I don't want to argue the literal meaning of a
    > > biblical translation. The point is that there are numerous instances of
    > miracles in the
    > > Bible that lend themselves to natural explanation.
    >
    > I appreciate what you are saying, but again I say that in order to draw a
    > natural explanation we often must compromise the words of the scripture.
    > I personally know of no natural explanation that can provide a "wall of
    > water" on the right and left. Sure a wind can blow all of a shallow
    > lake's water to one end of a lake, or expose a shallow ridge across the
    > Red Sea, but those explanations do nothing to explain two opposing
    > "walls" of water.
    >
    > The rabid atheist will seize upon any compromise and ram it right through
    > the entire Bible, which was my point with Glenn. Clarence Darrow used
    > this argument with William Jennings Bryan (during the Scopes Trial), who
    > (as I recall) fumbled over the question of the age of the earth and where
    > did Cain get his wife? Once Darrow exposed the weakness in Bryan's
    > fundamental beliefs, he skewered Bryan. Bryan died a few days later in
    > humiliation.
    >
    > Bill

    This is why it is so important to have a faith based upon the Person and
    work of Christ and not a naively inerrant view of the Bible. As Paul S. so
    faithfully reminds us on this list (see his most recent post), the Bible
    teaches many false notions regarding the creation; e.g. solid sky, flat
    earth, etc.. Additionally, even the writers of the NT have difference in
    historical details best explained as lapses in their--very
    human--memories. As Glenn likes to argue, if not admit to, these errors are
    simply a matter of fact--but they are readily understood and do not destroy
    the notion of revelation and inspiration when such notions aren't so wooden.
    Such an honest view of scripture goes a long way in soothing many woes of a
    rabid atheist.

    Sincerely
    George

    --