RE: Miracles and Science

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 21:22:25 EST

    Iain,

    You raise a number of very interesting points. First off, though, Vernon
    may be getting a "lot of flack" not so much because his YEC views, but
    because, IHMO, he tries to explain geological evidence on miracles. Maybe
    that's a bit of an understatement, but he and I had an e-mail exchange going
    that dealt with the temporal place of the Flood. When I (and others) asked
    him about the continental drift, he explained that the continents had moved
    at a pretty good clip. Others have pointed out that the high velocities,
    necessary to move the continents over that distance in 500 years, would have
    generated too much heat. When I asked him then about the magnetic reversals
    evident in the basalt on either side of the Mid-Atlantic ridge, Vernon
    invoked miracles.

    I don't, for a minute, discount the possibility that God could have used
    miracles to shove the continents apart and to lay down strips of basalt with
    alternating magnetic signatures. However, that explanation is not a
    scientifically satisfying one and does lead one to wonder why God would do
    this. Not that one questions God as to His motives, but it's sort of us
    expecting God to be a gentleman and and "play by the rules." Whatever that
    means. After all, God promised to be faithful and constant to the point
    that he promised Noah that we could count on the season to follow one
    another. If we cannot count of God to be faithful and constant, we might as
    well give up on science which, after all, is based on constancy in the
    universe. If God chose to make the earth look old (and there is an awful
    lot of that; from the movement of tectonic plates to the K/Ar and Sr/Rb
    ratio in rocks to the remnant of fission products in the Oklo uranium
    deposit, he could just as well have created all of us with a memory five
    minutes ago.

    Perhaps it would be good start to define a "miracle." My guess is that one
    would define a miracle as some event that does not seem to follow the "laws"
    of nature as we understand them. In addition, one could argue that a
    miracle (performed "through our hands" as you mentioned) is not repeatable.

    As to your experience with the lady with the advanced case of arthritis, one
    has to give God the glory and be thankful that he used you as the instrument
    of his grace. I have no difficulty accepting what you wrote. Why God
    healed this person is not for use to ask; all we can do is be thankful. Nor
    should we expect that God sets a precedent and that more old ladies can
    expect to be healed through your hands. Let's just hope that the lady went
    home and fell on her knees to thank God and that she used her newly healed
    hands to help other and to tell others what great things God had done for
    her.

    In one of the courses I teach (on a part time basis, because I have a full
    time job doing research into nuclear waste disposal), I ask my students to
    write a paper on their views on science and religion. One student wrote a
    paper on miracles and we discussed that topic at some length. One of the
    things that cam up is that it seems that these miracles invariably involve
    some internal disease: chronic arthritis is healed, a cancer disappears, a
    lame walks, a blind person receives sight again. Yet, we seldom see
    miracles that involve the regrowing of a severed hand or severed arm. This
    particular student was in a bad motorcycle accident that had resulted in the
    amputation of one of his legs. Yet, in spite of all the miraculous healing
    that we hear and read about, to my knowledge, there has never been the
    miraculous reappearance of a severed limb. I trust that any member of this
    forum will correct me if I'm wrong. That ought to tell us something: either
    God chooses NOT to generate new limbs, or these miracles are limited to the
    internal parts of the body.

    On a personal note, I lost my mother to thrombosis when I was 21 and my only
    sister was 11. Our prayers for her miraculous recovery were not answered.
    My sister eventually married and had a daughter and a son. My sister
    contracted a virus that affected her heart and she died when her daughter
    was 11. No miracle either. Was God picking on us and favouring the lady
    with arthritis? I don't think so for a moment but it may be tempting.

    I think that your experience as a faith healer should be reason for you and
    for us to praise God. I would not read much else into this and I would not
    have it affect my doing research. Nor would I look for an explanation of
    this healing but, then again, I'm not a physician.

    I like your comment about us "seeking through a glass darkly." I sometimes
    compare looking at the geological evidence as looking into a mirror. We
    know that there's no image behind the mirror and yet, we act as if there is.

    Chuck