Re: Mathematics and Physics from Genesis to Revelation

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 19:03:03 EST

    In a message dated 2/8/01 5:33:18 AM Mountain Standard Time,
    integer@crosswalkmail.com writes:

    > The logic of modern physics is governed by Einstein's principle of
    > RELATIVITY and by Heisenberg's principle of UNCERTAINTY (or AMBIGUITY). It
    > is proposed that these principles are the logical fruit of man's separation
    > from God. This separation from God can be identified with original sin and
    > the Fall of Adam. Being separated from God creates logical confusion about
    > absolute truth. In a futile attempt to eliminate this confusion Adam (or
    > man) has retreated to the logic of RELATIVE and UNCERTAIN human truth.

    Like others, I hope this is a joke. It is certainly laughable to think
    Einstein's theories of relativity have anything to do with the sort of moral
    relativism that denies absolute truth. As a physics prof put it to me long
    ago, relativity does not eliminate absolutes, it just changes the absolutes
    from what Newton thought they were to other absolutes that require different
    measuring sticks.

    I wonder if this guy is connected with the group "Common Sense Science" which
    is unfortunately not a joke. They made some appearances on another mailing
    list a few years back, but the guy only posted canned diatribes and was
    silent when asked to actually discuss physics. Their objections to modern
    physics (relativity and quantum mechanics) seemed to boil down to two real
    issues:

    1) Lack of determinism (which they seemed not to realize did not even apply
    to relativity), apparently because their theology required strict
    determinism. They liked to quote the book "Not a Chance" co-authored by R.C.
    Sproul. I have not read that book, but I hope it is not as scientifically
    inept as the use CSS made of it. From the item David Campbell mentioned
    today, I am not optimistic. Admittedly, the apparent indeterminacy in QM is
    not without theological challenges, but when asked to produce theologically
    acceptable alternatives for things like the attraction between argon atoms,
    their spokesman crawled back into his cave and was silent.

    2) The fact that relativity and QM did not agree with their common sense.
    That's the one that is really indefensible IMO -- as though the "common
    sense" of fallen humans should be an infallible guide to truth.

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"