RE: Is the resurrection story a "vehicle" for reflecting divine/human relationships?

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 06:16:03 EST

    Howard, Note where the quotation marks are. It is clearly marked as my word
    not yours. So I didn't misquote you.

    >> Lets be consistent in all that we do.
    >
    >OK, but what constitutes a "consistent" interpretive methodology? Suppose
    >you had to choose between these two:
    >
    >1. Recognize the diversity of biblical literary types and theological
    >agendas, even within the restricted category of biblical text referring to
    >historical events and persons. In coming to an interpretation of each
    >portion of text, make full use of all that is known about its historical
    >context, literary genre, cultural setting, theological role, textual
    >context, etc (whatever is relevant to that portion of text). To be
    >consistent, follow this procedure without exception.
    >
    >2. If any portion of biblical text, as read through the filter of modern
    >Western cultural expectations, appears to refer in any way to historical
    >events or persons, then treat that portion of text as nothing other than a
    >matter-of-fact chronicle, an artless reporting of what happened
    >and when. To
    >be consistent, follow this procedure without exception.
    >
    >Which strategy is likely to be more fruitful?

    Let's assume for the sake of argument that we should use #1, which is the
    one you want. It leaves a big question I concerning the resurrection story
    which you really haven't answered here. Consistent application of #1 must
    lead to placing the resurrection story into the cultural setting. Why
    shouldn't we place it in its cultural perpective? Afterall, there were lots
    of resurrection stories.

    personal stories of struggle