Re: Is the resurrection story a "vehicle" for reflecting divine/human relatio...

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 16:27:34 EST

    Glenn wrote:

    << As I said in a recent reply to Tom Pearson, we must be consistent in our
     applications of our epistemology to both science and to our religion. And
     with Howard's response, I don't see consistency. He claims that the flood
     narrative is merely a normal type of vehicle for 'reflecting on divine
     judgement and divine/human relationships.'

     One can make the very same claim concerning resurrrection stories, yet I
     know few Christians, including Howard, who would dare take the same approach
     with the resurrection. It is not well known among Christian circles that
     there is an entire literature among those more atheistically inclined, which
     says that the Christian resurrection story is nothing more than another in a
     long series of salvation stories and plans which involve resurrection.
     Thus, I guess, they would advocate that we should "understand why
     resurrection narratives functioned as they did in Ancient Near Eastern
     cultures (as dramatic
     vehicles for reflecting on divine judgment and divine/human relationships
     generally) I see no basis for the expectation that the details Luke 24
     should correspond to any one particular resurrection event."

     This is the problem with much of the approach of modern Christianity to its
     foundation. A methodology we use for one part of the Bible would never be
     applied to other parts without disastrous consequences. So we pick and
     choose what method we use in order to dance around the difficulties.

    The method I use in Gen 1-11 is no different than the method I use in Luke. I
    am looking for the probable sources of the story. In the case of Gen 1-11; so
    far as the history qua history is concerned, the sources are probably
    Babylonian stories and motifs, in the case of the Flood going back at least
    1500 years before Moses, and accordingly not likely to be historically
    accurate. In the case of Luke, as far as the history qua history and the
    resurrection in particular, the sources (Luke 1:1-4) are probably
    eye-witnesses and accordingly probably substantially reliable. There is no
    change of methodology whatsoever.

    As for the silly comparison of Osiris, et al to Jesus' resurrection. It is
    questionable whether even the Egyptians considered Osiris a historical figure
    who walked the earth; and certainly no historian today would think so. In
    addition the Egyptians had no belief in a physical resurrection. Only a fool
    would compare Osiris to Jesus. On the other hand, few historians would doubt
    the actual historical existence of Jesus; and, it is for philosophical not
    historical reasons that they reject the resurrection. If you are looking for
    inconsistency of methodology, you will find it in Farrel Till and all the
    rest of the unbelievers.

    Paul