canon within the canon

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 10:15:40 EST

    By way of trying to provoke some fresh discussion -

         While there are some differences which aren't important for the
    present discussion (i.e., concerning the OT Apocrypha), all Christians
    accept (or are supposed to accept!) the well-known 66 books of
    protestant Bibles as authoritative canonical scripture. However,
    different parts of the church, and different individuals, see different
    parts of the canon as central to Christian faith and life, and tend to
    read the rest of the Bible through the lens of those central parts.
    They have, as it's sometimes said, a "canon within the canon" (CIC).
    E.g., Lutherans have traditionally given a central place to Romans and
    Galatians, while Roman Catholics have emphasized Matthew. Other parts
    of the church have given some priority to other books. These are
    _unofficial_ CICs - no RC would say that only Matthew is
    authoritative. OTOH, no one with any theological sense is going to
    argue seriously that Jude is as important as the Gospel of John.
            As these examples indicate, a Christian's CIC pretty much has to
    be from the NT simply because of the centrality of Christ. Isaiah or
    Exodus (as, e.g., for liberation theologians) may be strongly
    emphasized, but you just can't get a Christian theology from the OT
    alone. While the OT is important, Christians read it in the light of
    the NT, not the other way around. We may say that while different parts
    of the church sharpen the focus further, the NT is our CIC.
            In view of this, a great deal of discussion of creation and of
    science-theology relationships in general, is rather strange. One would
    get the impression from much of the discussion of creation & evolution
    &c that Genesis is the CIC of fundamentalism and much of
    Evangelicalism. Of course that is not the case when other topics are
    being considered, but when this one comes on stage, Genesis is pushed to
    the forefront.
            Might it not be a good idea to try to develop some understanding
    of issues related to creation and evolution (including theological
    anthropology and providence) from the NT? I am certainly not suggesting
    that we drop Genesis (or for that matter Psalms or Isaiah or the rest of
    the OT) in developing a full understanding of these issues. But it
    would be good discipline for us to put a moratorium on debates about
    Genesis 1-11 & focus on relevant NT texts (reflecting, of course, on
    related OT passages when necessary for interpretation). For starters I
    would suggest:
            John 1:1-18
            Romans 4 & 5:6-21
            I Corinthians 8:6